- Improve the health of our community and always be remembered for your contribution
- Benefit yourself, your family and Cheyenne Regional with your planned gift
- Help us fulfill our mission for many years and generations to come
Friday July 3, 2020
Free File for 2019 Tax Returns
Free File is available for taxpayers with adjusted gross incomes of $69,000 or less. IRS Commissioner Chuck Rettig notes, "Free File online products offer free federal tax return preparation, free electronic filing and free direct deposit of refunds to help get your money faster. The IRS has worked to improve the program for this year, and we encourage taxpayers to visit IRS.gov and consider using the Free File option to get a head start on tax season."
There are four steps in order to use Free File.
- Go To IRS.gov – Select Do Your Taxes for Free, then select Choose a Free File Online Product.
- Choose a Tax Provider – Review the 10 providers and select one. Some providers may have different income limits that are below the $69,000 maximum.
- Complete the Return – Follow the links to your selected tax provider and begin your return. You will need your income, financial and deduction records.
- File Your Return – After completing your return, use electronic filing for the quickest refund. If you owe income tax, there are several electronic payment options.
Active duty military personnel have specific rules for housing, travel, permanent change of station and service in combat zones. Rettig notes, “The IRS takes special steps to help military members and their families with their taxes, and the Free File program is part of that effort. Almost 10% of the IRS workforce are veterans. We greatly appreciate the service to the nation of every veteran and their supportive families, and we will do all we can to assist them."
Seniors are also frequent users of Free File. Most providers now offer a new option –– IRS Form 1040–SR for seniors. Corbin notes, “When you are on a fixed income, every penny saved matters. With Free File, you can save lots of pennies. Free File also does all the hard work for you. It finds the right forms, benefits, and does all the math."